Thursday, October 4, 2012

I Will Never Be Famous...

"Full of it" is a very interesting piece indeed. Baxter basically explains writing on a more personal level that directly relates to his experiences as a writer. A lot of the points he touches on resonate very clearly to me. The main idea that I captured from this piece was that there are always going to be times when life seems meaningless, you're going nowhere, and it feels like an enormous black hole. In short, you feel stuck. He explains how these feelings of despair are commonplace in a writers life, due to constant rejection from publishing companies and critics etc. My apologies for being so optimistic and cheery, but there's more...


These "nights" (as he mentions in the story) are inevitable and will most likely find you at some point in your life.


Once you fall into a routine life, where you are busy and occupied these nights are not very prevalent, however once you find yourself out in the real world, alone, and trying to pursue your dreams: everything becomes real. At this time in my life, my early 20's seem far away and I have very high expectations for myself, much too high for my own good. Of course most of us want to accomplish something in this world, and of course this is not possible. This mentality is what causes the nights of loneliness and disparity in which we stay up all night listening to sad piano music wondering what could have been...


Conclusively, his advice (it seems like advice and a personal story at the same time to me) is very useful for anyone looking for a realistic approach to life as a writer or any profession like it. Baxter highlights his ability to take criticism well which I also believe is a crucial part of life. To improve, one must understand the pain that goes hand in hand with reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment